We all write every day. We write in the form of emails, text messages and more. It only makes good sense to keep your writing as perfect as possible – especially if you’re a professional or aspiring writer. Check out these seven tips for keeping your writing polished, professional – and readable.
1. Write Every Day. Journal, blog, newsletter, freelance. Just do something that forces you to keep your writing chops sharp and hone your craft.
2. Proofread. Proofread. Proofread. In between these proofreading, sessions make sure you walk away from your writing. This allows you to come back at it with a fresh eye.
3. Keep A Dictionary and Thesaurus At Hand. They may seem like old-fashioned writing tools, but they can be found in online versions quite readily.
4. Join A Writer’s Group. Groups of like-minded individuals with a shared passion for writing can offer camaraderie, helpful critiques, and invaluable input.
5. Practice With Writing Prompts. These can be found all over the Internet and provide a great way to practice writing outside your typical genre.
6. Protect Your Writing Time. Turn off social media, close your office door against distractions and temporarily turn off the phone.
7. Read. Writers learn to write not just by writing, but by reading other writers.
What’s your favorite writing tip? Share it in the comments. I’d love to know what spurs you to write, helps you polish your writing or serves as your muse.